It is an exceptionally snowy day this fine Monday, and with snow comes the need for proper, delicious hot cocoa. Yes, I said “need,” because it is borderline necessity(for me).
With that, I present you with my deliciously indulgent(yes, that description makes me cringe) hot cocoa recipe of choice. I’m not talking unsweetened cocoa, delicious as it may be; I’m talking melted chocolate and whipping cream. If I could stand long enough to snap a picture of the backyard, you would appreciate that the weather forgives this kind of flat-out indulgence.
ANYWAY. Behold the recipe.
- Either 10 oz of semisweet chocolate or the “giant” bar of Hershey’s milk chocolate(7-10 oz)
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup of half-and-half or whipping cream
- 1 cinnamon stick
- pinch chili powder
- pinch espresso powder
You will note I give a fair amount of leeway because, like Burger King or Sinatra (there’s a combination no one has ever made), I want you to have it your way. OR something along those lines, anyway.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan until scalding, then add cinnamon, chili powder, and espresso powder. Stir and let the flavors come together on medium heat for 8 minutes, give or take. Take out the cinnamon stick.
- Chop your chocolate into small chunks, and add to the milk, whisking chocolate in until it’s mixed and the milk starts to be nice and frothy.
- Add half-and-half, or if using whipping cream, whip until it forms peaks, and fold into the your cocoa. Reserve some of the whipped cream to spoon onto the top of your finished drink.
- Watch the snow fall from the comfort of your kitchen with your amazing and joy-inducing cocoa.