Because quoting terrible Bangles songs is SO CURRENT. I know.
So, today yields a genuine recipe now that I’m back on my feet (literally).
Beef and Broccoli
I took the idea from a combination of my love of stir-fry experimentation and a recipe from Ruth Stahl. Bon appetit!
- 1 lb angus or chuck steak (I went with angus for this one).
- 2-3 large heads of broccoli
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- Stir together 2-2.5 tablespoons of cornstarch, granulated garlic, and 3 tablespoons of water in a medium bowl
- Cut the steak into thin strips, roughly 3 inches in length
- Add the steak strips to the bowl and toss until coated with cornstarch mixture
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil (I like to use Sesame Oil in my stir-fry) in a large skillet or wok and add strips of steak
- Stir-fry the beef until cooked thoroughly (I am a well-done type of person, but that’s your call)
- Using the same skillet/wok, set aside the beef and cook the onion and broccoli until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes
- Return the beef to skillet and cook, adding water if the liquid gets too low
- Mix together the soy sauce, sugar, ginger, chili powder and flakes, and minced garlic and add the remaining water and cornstarch; add to skillet
- Cook for a few more minutes
- Bask in your sense of accomplishment